9th Annual AHSIE Best Practices Conference: Building and Sustaining Powerful Partnerships for Student Success at HSIs
In partnership with the Nevada System of Higher Education
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
April 9-12, 2017
Q: What is the AHSIE Best Practices Conference and who should attend?
A: The annual AHSIE Best Practices Conference provides practitioners from current and emerging Hispanic Serving Institutions a forum through which they can share ideas, build partnerships, and influence the development of policies designed to increase student success and institutional effectiveness. The conference features an array of sessions that examine high-impact practices primarily implemented through U.S. Department of Education Title III and Title V funding. It also provides attendees with opportunities to network with leaders from other HSI’s, share ideas regarding what does and doesn’t work for our students, and learn how to make Title V programs more effective. If you work in an HSI as an administrator, program director, faculty, staff, or student, you are welcome and encouraged to attend. This year’s conference will feature program officers from the U.S. Department of Education, HSI Division.
Q: When and where is the conference held?
A: Las Vegas! We are pleased to be partnering with the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) as Co-hosts of the 9th Annual AHSIE Best Practices Conference. Conference activities will take place at the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) from April 9-12, 2017 All conference sessions will take place at the UNLV Student Union Building. Evening receptions will take place at the Vdara Hotel and Spa, Las Vegas.
Download the 2017 AHSIE Conference Agenda
Q: Do you anticipate the conference will sell out?
A: Yes! Each year our conference attendance increases and our ability to accommodate participants is based on the capacity of our host institution. Once capacity has been reached we will close registration.
Q: How do I register?
A: You can register online beginning in January 2017 or onsite at UNLV. We encourage you to register early to take advantage of the Early bird discounted rate. See below for details on fees.
Q: What are the registration fees?
A: The standard conference registration fee is $475, with discounts for retirees and students. We also offer a one-day registration. We are also pleased to offer members of HACU* a courtesy discounted rate.
All of these qualify for the Early Bird discount if you register by January 27, 2017, 11:59 pm PST.
Early Bird Rate Regular Registration
(before January 27th, 11:59 pm PST) (after January 27th, 11:59 pm PST)
General Admission $450 $475
Retiree $375 $400
Student $175 $200
One day $225 $250
HACU Member Rate* $425 $450
*HACU Members – You may register at the HACU member rate if your institution is a current member of HACU. Before selecting this option, please verify this by checking the HACU Membership Directory.
Important Registration Dates:
Friday, January 27 – Deadline for Early Bird Registration Rate
Friday, February 17 – Deadline for Session Presenters to Register (To demonstrate Commitment to Attend, and to be included in the Conference Program.)
Thursday, March 9 – Registration Refund Deadline
Refund Policy – Registrations canceled prior to March 9, 2017 will be charged a $50 administration fee. After March 9, 2017, canceled registration will be charged a $200 cancellation fee, or you may substitute for another representative at your institutions for a charge fee of $50. No-show registrations will not be refunded.
Friday, March 24 – Online Registration Closes
Sunday, April 9 – On-site Registration Opens
Q: Do you offer a discounted registration fee for presenters?
A: Additional discounts are not available for presenters.
Q: What is included in my registration fee?
A: Registration includes:
- Four-day access to the conference, which includes institutes, concurrent sessions, plenaries, roundtable discussions and panel presentations;
- Opening Reception and Networking Mixer Sunday;
- Breakfast on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday;
- Lunch on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday;
- Conference handouts and promotional items;
- Opportunities to network with U.S. Department of Education Title V Program Officers; and
- Individual Annual Membership in AHSIE (valid April 2017-April 2018).
Q: Can I use Federal funds from a grant to pay for this conference?
A:A separate list of FAQs has been developed to guide U.S. Department of Education grantees in the appropriate use of federal funds for conferences and meetings: https://www.ahsie.org/conference/using-federal-funds/
Q: What type of payment do you accept for conference registration?
A: On the registration page, you will have the option of paying with a credit card through Paypal or Stripe. Alternatively, you may select to pay by check and an invoice will be generated for you. Please note, payment must be submitted prior to the start of the conference.
Please include the full name of the registrant in the memo line of the check and make check payable to:
P.O. Box 2100
Taos, NM 87571-2100
Q: If I need to cancel my registration, what is your refund policy?
A: Our refund policy for conference registration is as follows: registrations canceled prior to March 9, 2017 will be charged a $50 administration fee. After March 9, 2017, canceled registration will be charged a $200 cancellation fee, or you may substitute for another representative at your institutions for a charge fee of $50. No-show registrations will not be refunded.
Q: Who can I contact with a question about registration?
A: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply within two business days.
Q: I am not a member of AHSIE, can I still attend the conference?
A: Of course! Individual membership is complimentary when you register for the conference.
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is located in the Las Vegas suburb of Paradise, Nevada. The 332-acre campus is located approximately 1.6-mile east of the Las Vegas Strip. View Map to UNLV
Q: What airport is closest or most convenient to the conference site?
A: The easiest way to get to Las Vegas and UNLV is via McCarran International Airport, located just five miles from downtown Las Vegas. This airport offers domestic and international flights and a large selection of amenities including restaurants and shopping.
Q: What transportation is available to/from the Airport to the hotel?
A: There are several options for shuttle, taxi, and public transportation from the McCarran International Airport to the Vdara Hotel and Spa Conference Hotel and UNLV. Visit https://www.mccarran.com/go.aspx or https://www.vdara.com/en/amenities/transportation.html for details.
Q: What transportation is available to/from the hotel to the UNLV?
A: AHSIE and NSHE/UNLV will provide shuttle service from the Vdara Hotel and Spa to UNLV in the morning and afternoon in conjunction with conference activities. Please note, if you reserve lodging at a property other than the Vdara, you will either need to travel to the Vdara to catch the shuttle or find your own transportation to/from UNLV.
Q: If I am renting a car, what are parking options at the University?
A: Parking will be available on the UNLV campus in designated lots for the duration of the conference. Please indicate at the time of registration if you will be driving and need parking. Maps of the campus will be coming soon.
Q: What are my options for lodging? Is there an official conference hotel?
A: We are pleased to partner with the Vdara Hotel and Spa, Las Vegas as the only official 2017 AHSIE Conference Hotel. The world’s premier developer and operator of luxury resorts, MGM Resorts International™, brings you Vdara Hotel & Spa at ARIA -a non-gaming, non-smoking, eco-friendly, all-suite boutique retreat ideally situated between ARIA Resort & Casino and Bellagio on the Las Vegas Strip. Access all the gaming, dining, shopping, and nightlife CityCenter has to offer or…escape from it all. AAA Four Diamond Award-winning Vdara Hotel & Spa offers contemporary interior spaces with modern amenities and services, a rooftop pool & lounge, spa & salon, and intimate meeting space all wrapped up in an atmosphere bound to surpass every expectation. Full list of Amenities Map
Reservations can be made by calling 1-866-745-7767 or 702-590-2767 (refer to AHSIE) or click on the following web link:
Reserve Now at the Vdara Hotel and Spa
Deadline to reserve at the AHSIE Conference rate is March 9, 2017.
Q: What nights should I reserve for?
A: The conference starts at 9:00 ap.m. on Sunday, April 9 and concludes at noon on Wednesday, April 12, 2017. The Vdara Hotel and Spa is also extending the special AHSIE Conference Rate for shoulder dates before and after the conference so you can come early or stay late and enjoy Las Vegas!
Download the 2017 AHSIE Conference Agenda
Q: What topics will be covered throughout the conference?
A: We aim to provide relevant information on topics that affect all Hispanic-Serving institutes. Topics for this year’s conference include:
- Project Management and Institutional Capacity Building (i.e., successful strategies for implementation, evaluation, and institutionalization of HSI grant-funded programs, and best practices for effective management of federal grants.)
- Student Support Services (i.e., creative and evidenced-based programs for undergraduate and graduate student success such as counseling, advising, summer bridge programs, tutoring centers, facilitating access through recruitment and community outreach.)
- Grantsmanship at HSIs (i.e., the development of effective Title III, Title V and other grant applications.)
- Teaching and Learning (i.e., curricular innovations, culturally relevant pedagogies, faculty-student practices, faculty development programs, technology integration that improve Latino/s student outcomes, etc.)
- Student Leadership (i.e., the development of peer-peer mentorship programs, inclusion of students into institutional decision-making and feedback, etc. These proposals may be presented by students, faculty, staff or a combination thereof).
- High Impact Practice Presentations – These sessions will feature evidence-based, high impact practices proven to be effective at HSIs. These presentations are delivered through PowerPoint or panel sessions and allow for a 15-20 minute question and answer period. Duration: 60 minutes
- Community of Practice Workshops These hands-on sessions will be facilitated by HSI professionals and will include evidence-based, high impact practices proven to be effective at HSIs. Presentation delivery will be a workshop format with clear outcomes for participants. These workshops will engage participants through interactive activities, teamwork, and hands-on experience. Participants will leave with enough resources and tangible examples for implementation at their respective institutions. Duration: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Special Topic Institutes – Topic specific institutes are open to conference attendees, but will be limited in seating capacity. The HSI Grantsmanship Institute is for participants explore grants-seeking strategies that will optimize your effectiveness as a HSI proposal writer. Part I will take place on Sunday April 9th and Part II on Wednesday, April 12th). The Project Management & Evidence-based Practices Institute is professional development opportunity for Title V Project Directors and project staff. The Equity Institute will focus on a recent volume of New Directions in Higher Education edited by Freeman & Martinez (2015) about Latino/a Student Success. The HSI Student Institute is for students attending the conference, and will focus on building a sense of community for student leaders at HSIs. Duration: 6 hours (with one-hour working lunch, breakout sessions and scheduled breaks) For a full description of the Institutes, view Page 3 of the Conference Agenda here
- Invited Speaker Sessions – These sessions will feature invited speakers and presenters who will lead special topic sessions that inform policy and practice at HSIs. Examples of 2016 topics include: Funding for HSIs Beyond Title V; Advancing Research & Transformative Practices at HSIs; Undocumented Students and Dreamers at HSIs; Cultivating Student Leaders at HSIs, and
- Morning Plenary – Morning sessions will kick-off each day of the conference with a featured keynote speaker or panel speaking about compelling and relevant issues that impact HSIs nationally.
- Luncheon Plenary – Special AHSIE presentations will take place during the midday plenary sessions. The talented staff of the UNLV Catering Department will be serving buffet lunches during
- Afternoon Coffee Breaks – We want to make sure you’re fully energized and focused for the last few late afternoon sessions! Complimentary coffee and refreshments will be served, providing a great opportunity to rest, recharge, network with your fellow colleagues, and visit the exhibitor information tables.
Throughout the conference, there will be opportunities to meet with program officers from the U.S. Department of Education, HSI Division.
Q: How can I submit a proposal to be a presenter?
A: We are interested in a range of proposals that demonstrate high impact practices that promote Hispanic student success in higher education. Of particular interest are submissions that focus on creative and evidenced-based programs for undergraduate and graduate student success, institutionalization of grant-funded programs, and effective management of federal grants. The deadline for the 2017 conference has passed.
Q: How can students get involved with the conference?
A: We will have sessions throughout the conference by and for students. For the 2017 conference, the Student Rate is $200 ($175 for Early Bird Registration).
Also, will be offering an all-day Student Leadership Institute on Sunday, April 9th, at no additional cost to attend.
We encourage students to apply for the annual Seed to Tree Student Scholarship. Awards will be granted to students enrolled at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Graduate level. The award package includes: Complimentary registration at the 9th Annual AHSIE Best Practices Conference, April 9-12th; Attendance at the AHSIE Student Leadership Institute on Sunday, April 9th; Roundtrip airfare to Las Vegas, NV; Three nights lodging at conference hotel (Vdara Hotel and Spa); Awards Banquet and Scholar Presentation; Cash scholarship of $500.00
The application deadline is Friday, January 6, 2017 by 11:59pm PST. The online application can be found at https://www.ahsie.org/scholarship/.
Q: Does the AHSIE Best Practices Conference offer a student track?
A: The AHSIE Best Practices Conference is one of the few national conferences that encourages students from HSIs to submit presentations on promising practices or to serve as co-presenters on presentation proposals. Our audience is largely practitioner-based so we find that our participants often learn a lot from our students who are affiliated with Tile III/V projects (i.e., serving in peer mentors, student leader or tutor roles). Students also learn a lot through their participation in the regular conference program. We will be offering an all-day Student Leadership Institute on Sunday, April 9th, at no additional cost to attend. Additionally, we will have sessions throughout the conference by and for students. For the 2017 conference, the Student Rate is $200 ($175 for Early Bird Registration.
Q: How can I volunteer to help at the conference?
A: Send us your information at the following link, and a member of the Conference Planning Committee will contact you. Become a Volunteer